Notes to self: the visual culture of selfies

This article is trying to define the difference between selfies and self-portraits. Using examples from feminist photographers, Murray has succeeded in presenting different views on the term selfie. With the rise of social media outlets like Instagram and Snapchat, selfies are becoming unavoidable online. I only have to scroll through my Instagram feed to prove this point. However, photographers such as Vivian Fu & Noorran Matties are attempting to change the way women see themselves, by promoting self portraits, rather than selfies. With the term selfie, comes assumptions of narcissism and low self esteem. Alternatively, self-portraits are seen to have more artistic connotations, thoughtful composition and context and may be a more positive way to approach feminist topics, or any topic for that matter. They give the artists an outlet to challenge stereotypes, which would immediately be disregarded or overlooked if they photograph was first recognised as a ‘selfie’.

I found this article interesting. I’d never thought much beyond the purpose of taking a selfie, I only saw it as as something everyone was doing on social media. A photo that makes you feel good about how you look, boosting confidence. I don’t think it’s necessarily always with narcissistic intent, commonly a selfie features more than one person, maybe these photos are snapshots to look back at later as memories. Self portraits always seemed more serious and creative, and although I think it’s easy to mix the two up, as selfies are essentially self portraits, there is a distinguishable difference between the two.